Saturday, August 7, 2010

Prelude of my new life…

Ahh!! 6am in the morning... it’s very depressing when I have to wake up at this hour accompany by the beautiful “alarm clock” from the mosque nearby… it is a great challenge for me to resist the comfy of my bed at such hour!! Sometimes I just feel like lying there the whole day~


Breakfast is always fast and simple… biscuits with soy milk can keep me “alive” until lunch where most of us medical student have to stand the whole morning clerking patients or observing surgery in the Operation Theater… The best part of KT general hospital a.k.a. hospital SNZ is that the location is just directly next to the beach!! Unfortunately, until now I still haven’t set foot on the beach before or after my hospital session due to the busy timetable…


Study in the hospital is totally different with classroom… You get to see real patient and cases… medical knowledge is no longer the sole element we need to master… communication and social skills play a very important role too… especially when 97% of our patient is Malay… (Malay language in KT has a stronger slang compare to KL)… but they are way more friendly compare to KL’s patients…


Walking around the hospital with my coat on is really funny… “I may look like a doctor... sounds like a doctor… write like a doctor… but don’t have the brain of a doctor”… the reason I say it’s funny because most of the patient or family members will give me a weird look when they see me.. If I have to ability to listen to other’s mind.. They must be saying “Hey.. is the little boy a doctor?? Macam budak aje”… LOL… even the Sister Nurse also say that to me!! Still.. Most of the time patients and their family members address me by calling me Dr… feel so weird (although got a little bit happy lah… hahaha)


During the 3rd day of my surgical posting… The patient I clerked has the look almost like my grandfather… I will never forget him and really appreciate it when he allowed me to perform Per-Rectal examination on him (not to forget Dr Min Oo too)… he is a very nice guy… hopefully he will be alright… he was discharged when I went back to the hospital on the next day… My next target is to perform or at least observe proctoscopy and to see sunrise during my coming night call duty…


Meaningful quote from Sir William Osler… “To study the phenomena of disease without books is to sail an uncharted sea, while to study books without patients is not going to sea at all”…. It’s time to go back to my books…arghhh!!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!! "Macam budak aje..."

    The patients might worry about needing a shot everytime they go to Dr. Looi.

    Dear Patients,
    Dont worry. Dr. Looi may look like a kid but he has been born with a brilliant brain making him a true genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how does PR feels?... hehe

    last time i also thought i can go beach often since it's so near.... but now, barely got time to go anywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL.. Carolyn ah.. don't put Dr. infront of my name leh... i don't deserve it lah... besides.. my brain is full of grass and a lot of useless stuff.. hahaha..

    Francine!! I know I shouldn't say the feeling is good coz it will be kinda gay!! but really quite fun la... hahaha... wait for ur chance... esp during Dr. Tarik's BST.. he like student to perform PR.. the beach for us is 可望不可及 ah... T.T

    ReplyDelete